Amos Fogg with the help of his brothers Owen, Roy and Sid
commenced as transport operators in Cessnock using a Ford
Lorry with a four poster body, tarp roof and seats. This
service ran from Cessnock to Aberdare Central. Foggs then
purchased Aberdare to Kearsley run from Hancocks and commenced
operating the service from Cessnock to Newcastle via Maitland.
1930s saw the curtailment of the Cessnock to Newcastle service
as the 1930s Transport Act did not allow for services to
be run in opposition with the railways (Maitland to Newcastle).
Rover Motors purchased Maitland to Cessnock operations and
the Foggs moved to Newcastle, operating services from New
Lambton and Mayfield West.
The government of the day hired private buses to evaluate
bus operations in Newcastle. Private firms supplied buses
and drivers with government conductors. Operators were paid
on a mileage and time basis, and after approximately 12
months the government took over these operations.
Foggs continued to operate Cardiff; Mayfield – Raymond
Foggs bought shares in Rover Motors, Hunter Valley Coaches
and Lindsay Brothers. The 1940’s saw the Fogg’s
aquire Newcastle – Nelson Bay; Newcastle – Tea
Gardens; Newcastle – Gloucester; Toronto – Wallsend/BHP
and Wyong/Toukley/Budgewoi – Swansea, and shares in
Rover Motors Hunter Valley Coaches, and Lindsay Bros. They
commenced operations with Foggs Tours, later renamed Allens
Tours operating out of Sydney. Other associated companies
were Foggs Diesel and Electrical Services, Lifeguard Tyres,
Atla Industries, Toronto Taxi’s and milk truck operating
out of Oak factory at Hexham.
In 1957 Sid Fogg purchased Foggs Newcastle – Nelson
Bay operations and named the company Port Stephens Coaches.
The fleet at this time consisted of 6 buses: -
- 3 new SB 33 passenger Bedford’s
- 2 second hand OB passenger Bedford’s
- 1 second hand Chevrolet 26 passenger
All petrol powered
Buses commenced at 5.25am and finished at 1.35am, to Newcastle
via the vehicular ferry to Stockton and BHP with 6 trips
In the early part of this decade Terry and Kay Fogg moved
to Tomaree Street, Nelson Bay. The ‘60s and 70s proved
a difficult time for the bus industry as families started
to purchase the second family car. Low patronage caused
the reduction of some services and the introduction of new
services at different times to meet the changing needs of
1971 saw the opening of the Stockton Bridge meaning that
customers no longer had the inconvenience of the vehicular
ferry on their trip to Newcastle. The company bought a new
vehicle to coincide with the opening of the bridge. This
vehicle was the first 61-passenger single decker bus in
the Newcastle area.
In 1972 Port Stephens Coaches introduced
local and vineyards tours operating Wednesdays and Thursdays.
The 1980s saw the introduction of Almex ticket machines,
CB radio and 2-way radio in buses. The company also introduced
a daily express service from Port Stephens to Sydney in
The company introduced computerised (A.E.S.) ticket machines
in service buses, a first in the Newcastle area. Due to
increasing charter and tour work the company purchased Australia’s
first B12 Volvo coach to add to the growing fleet.
1995 saw seat belts introduced into route
buses and coaches.
1998 relocated Depot from Tomaree Street,
Nelson Bay to Port Stephens Drive, Anna Bay Depot.
Introduced low floor wheel chair accessible vehicles onto
route bus services.